Guardian Carers Feature on BBC News London

What qualifications are required to be a live-in carer?

Find a Carer Near You

Contact us today and we will be in touch shortly with more information about our services. Or, call us on 0207 183 1395.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

In the majority of cases, there won’t be any requirements to have academic qualifications like GCSEs, A-Levels or degrees. However, most employers would prefer you to have some First Aid skills and an NVQ in Health and Social Care, Levels 2 and 3.

These courses would prepare you to work in Adult Social Care, teaching you to support individuals with learning difficulties and awareness of dementia. Care Workers often need to travel to many locations within the day, therefore you’ll also need an EU driving license.

Beyond these qualifications, experience is crucial; so securing volunteer work will pay off in the long run. You’ll have to also have background checks, such as a medical check and a criminal record check through the Disclosure and Barring Service otherwise known as a DBS.

Once you begin life as a live-in carer, you will need to have some training in food hygiene, health and safety. This will include elements of first aid and how to move people safely, particularly if working on your own. This is because you could be preparing meals for your clients to ensure they are eating a healthy and varied diet, even though they are not able to cook themselves anymore. You will also be working with clients who could have mobility issues, so you will be required to help them around the home.

Book a consultation

Give us a call. We are ready to help. We believe we can find your perfect carer.